This week’s easy hairstyles tutorial: Learn how to side fishtail braid with a messy waterfall braid effect on medium to long hair. This is a runway inspired, effortless updo/upstyle – look like a model!
Sick of the same ‘ol boring side braid upstyle that is so common these days, well, here is a unique fishtail braid hair style that can be worn with jeans or your most formal attires.
My YouTube Video version of this hair tutorial is at the bottom of this page.
As always, doing this on curly/wavy hair makes managing the hair easier, so curl your hair with an 1 inch curling iron. I used my 1 inch 4 in 1 Cortex curling iron.
Tease the Crown & Back. For formal occasion, you want to tease it a lot more to create volume..
- Before pinning the crown, loosely braid it to create more texture and movement in your hair.
- Loosely pin or tie the crown.
- Clip away the soft hairs around your hair
- Start Fishtail french braiding at the top of your head, start on your heavy side (french braid part is optional, you can just do a fishtail braid if that makes it more comfortable for you.)
- Stop when you reach your ear, then revert to a regular fishtail braid.
- Fluff/loosen the braid.
Drag all the hair to the side, except the loose hair around your hair line, and make a ponytail hairstyle.
Step 6: (I’m going to assume that you already know how to do the basic fishtail braid(AKA herringbone, fishbone, TRECCIA SPINA DI PESCE), but if you don’t, I go over it in this fishtail braid hair tutorial here)
Now we make our funky, unusual waterfall, fishtail braid, but instead of taking 1 small section, we’re going to take 2 small section per side.
- One section – give it to the other side
- Second section – remove another small section and just drop it/leave it out of your braid, to create a waterfall braid effect.
Tie the ends, wrap a piece of hair around the rubber band, fluff and loosen the braids and you’re done! Sexy, effortless waterfall, fishtail braid.
Thank you so much for reading! Take care~ xoxo-Tina
(¯`’★♫♪•♥ HAIR PRODUCTS — USED ♥ •♫♪★’´¯)
- Cortex 4 in 1 Curling Iron
- Sebastian Shaper Plus Hair Spray
- Heat Protectant on WET hair: Bamboo Smooth Kendi Oil Dry Oil
- Finish Oil – CHI Enviro Smoothing Serum (hard to find @stores)