Praise God, it’s officially spring! Which means we can start creating some fabulously, chic warm weather hairstyles, like this crown braid I’m about to show you how to do!
Girls, if you love colorful maxi dresses ( who doesn’t?), and heatless, second-day hairstyles, then you need to learn how to do a crown braid on yourself!
There are so many ways you can create a crown braid, from the easiest method of pigtail braid wrap-styles, known simply as the milkmaid braids, to the more complex French braided styles, but today, I’m going to show you how to do a crown, mesh braid.
This cute hairstyle incorporates 2 types of braids, French and the fishtail, to create an earthy and relaxed, braided updo . Sounds complicated? But it’s actually, quite easy and quick.
How To Do A Crown Braid On Yourself Tutorial
- If you’re doing this on a second-day hair (or beyond), use a dry shampoo on your roots.
Apply matte, “dry” wax product all over the hair to create texture in your hair.
- Comb your hair
- Lightly tease the back of your head. (optional) You should do this step for fancy occasions like a wedding or the prom.
- If you have bangs, clip it out of the way.
- Part your hair in the front. My part was to the side but center part works just as well.
- Grab a section near your part – 4~5 fingers wide – to start a half, French braid, AKA lace braids. For this crown braid, we’ll be adding in hair to the strand closest to the face before doing the basic, 3-strand braid. ( For clarity: y’know how to do a normal braid? If you’re a girl, then you do. So a lace braid is where you do a normal braid – crossing the side strands over the middle strand, AFTER adding in hair, from the scalp to one of the strand.. Got it? 🙂 ) Here is one of my oldest video, where I show you how to French braid your hair.
- Half-French braid your hair to the middle of your nape. Make sure to pull out the sides of the braid to make it big and voluminous.
- Once at your nape, split your braid into 2 sections to start a normal, Fishtail braid. Here is an easy, how to fishtail braid your hair tutorial for beginners.
- Make sure to pull out the sides of the Fishtail braids as well.
- When you reach the ends of your hair, tie it with an elastic band.
- Repeat this on the other side.
- Now, simply wrap the braid around your head, one by one.
- Tuck the ends of your braid into the half-French braid to create a seamless crown braid, before pinning it closed.
- If you have bangs, you can now release it from the clip. If you have pin-straight hair and want to dress it up for a fancy occasion, you can curl your bangs, wispy sideburns, and the hair around your nape with a large curling iron. This will make the hairstyle infinitely more romantic.
Eva NYC CurlingIron ( I used the biggest barrel from the 4~1 set)
WATCH THE VIDEO
If the hair tutorial video doesn’t play, watch it on my YouTube channel by clicking – Hairstyles.
Did you subscribe to be notified of new hair tutorials?
Thanks for watching! xo Tina
Have you seen my previous crown braid tutorial?