Hi, everyone! In this week’s hair tutorial video, I’m going to show you, another cute way to do a big, messy bun hairstyle. High messy buns are perfect for medium, or long hair lengths, and before you ask, yes, this updo hairstyle will work on both straight, or on curly hair.
Scroll down to the bottom to watch the video.
In this 5 minute messy bun tutorial, a hair style also known as a top-knot, or a chignon, learn how to French fishtail braid your crown, before putting your hair up in a cute, messy bun. Although I’m wearing this all up in a high bun, you can also wear it as a cute, braided ponytail.
- I parted my hair on one side, but you can do this without a part ,and start braiding from the center.
- Start a French fishtail braid. Grab a 2″ section and split it in half.
- Take the right section over the left section.
- Basically all we’re going to do is alternate sides and cross over a strand, so take some hair from the LEFT side, and cross it over to the RIGHT section.
- Take some hair from the RIGHT side, and cross it over to the LEFT section. This is how you French fishtail braid.
- Continue braiding until the middle of your crown, then switch to a half-French fishtail braid. This means, we’re now doing a regular Fishtail braid with 1 section (in this tutorial video LEFT section was regular), while doing a “French” fishtail with 1 side ( RIGHT side was French fishtail in the video).
- Gather your braid and use a thin elastic to tie it up.
- Gather all your hair into a high ponytail and tie it up.
- Get another elastic (it’s easier to do this hairstyle with 2 elastic, but it can be done with just 1, especially if you have medium length hair) and loop it around as if you’re tying it up, but on the last twist, only pull it through half-way.
- Wrap the ends around the base of the ponytail.
- Now we can form our messy bun. Tug on the sides to slowly loosen up the messy bun.
- Pin down the sides of the bun with 2 bobby pins once you’ve achieved your desired fullness.
- pull on the middle of the messy bun to make it “fuller” and more round.
- Tugging on the base of the bun – in the middle – will bring the bun closer to your face.
- And we’re done!
Be sure to watch the hair tutorial video to see it done!
Matte Hair Wax (my favorite wax for braiding but it’s made for men, so it will smell like a cologne.)
HAIR TUTORIAL VIDEO
If the video doesn’t work, click to watch the messy bun tutorial on my YouTube channel.
Did you SUBSCRIBE to be notified of future hair tutorials?