Everyone loves Kim Kardashian’s big curls. So this week, I’m going to show you how to blow-dry, and then curl your hair to get Kim K’s voluminous, long, curly hairstyle, just in time for the Valentine’s day.
I’m considering make a beginner’s guide to blow-outs. Let me know if you guys would find something like that helpful. I might have sped through this video too fast in my attempt to shorten the length. ^_^
Scroll down to the bottom to watch the, step-by-step, Kim Kardashian Big Curls Tutorial Video, for medium, or long hair lengths.
- On freshly washed hair, apply a leave-in-conditioner or oils (Argan), when your hair is half-way dry to prevent diluting the product with water.
- Comb your hair
- Apply a root-lifting product all over the roots.
- If you have hard-to-curl hair, apply a body-building mousse or a soft-hold gel on your ends.
- Flip your head upside down to dry your hair Dry from roots to the ends.
- When your hair is 70% (for very curly hair) ~ 90% (straight hair) use a cool-shot button on your blow-dryer to cool off your hair. Do not dry your hair completely.
- Once your hair is cool, flip your head back.
- We’re now going to use a round brush to dry the crown & pin it up. Use e a large boar bristle brush ( 3~4″) on the hair around the face for extra smoothness & shine.
- Metal round brushes are faster in drying the hair due to the metal core. I’m using the 2.5″ round brush that came with my T3 Featherweight Luxe 2I blow dryer to dry the rest. Only pin up the crown. The bottom can be done with just your hand, since we’re going over everything with a curling iron.
- Use a heat protectant. (you can use this before blow-drying-this is a personal preference)
- Use a setting lotion (this is a must for hard-to-curl hair).
- Section off to start curling your hair, once your hair is completely dry.
- Use a 1.5~2″ curling iron to create big curls. Curl all of your hair away from your face, and pin them up. Remember though, the bottom most layer of your hair, should be pinned down (not up against the scalp) so you don’t lose too much length.
- Allow your pin curls to cool off for 5~10 minutes.
- Remove the pins used – and flip your head upside down to apply your hair oil.
NOTES & TIPS
- Use pin-curl clips, duckbill clips, or bobby pins to pin up hair.
- Do not twist the hair as you’re wrapping it around the barrel for a longer lasting smoothness. We’re not making messy, beach waves, but big, soft curls.
- Taking smaller sections to curl will give you shiner curls.
- Do not weigh down your hair with too much products. Since we used a “setting spray,” which is a better “hair spray” for curling the hair, we don’t HAVE to use a hair spray at the end.
- On 2nd day, use a dry shampoo on the roots and light hairspray on the ends. Repeat on day 3.
PRODUCTS — USED
T3 Featherweight Luxe 2I blow dryer (clinically proven to be healthier than air drying )
T3 Source Showerhead Filter (grow, long healthy hair + skin)
Bristle Round Brush (I had this for 15 years, if they make it the same way, it’ll last just as long for you)
Sexyhair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave-In-Conditioner (lovely stuff)
Sexyhair Root-Lifting Mousse (best, but only works WITH a blow-dryer)
Body-Building Mousse (very light, great for everyone)
Alterna Dry Oil Mist – can be used as a Heat Protectant (If you have fine hair, only use this as a finishing oil spray – too heavy other wise).
* Hard-to-Curl – Setting Spray – Hot Sets 22 Redken (spritz on each section before using the iron. Make sure the product has dried completely before curling your hair, or you’ll end up with long lasting, “crunchy” hair. Same goes with regular hairspray if you decide to use it instead. <3
Phytolisse Finishing Oil (might be too light for very coarse, damaged hair – wonderful for fine hair)
Nail Polish (because I always get asked : Color Club – Disco Dress )
Click – Kim Kardashian hair tutorial – if the video doesn’t play to watch it on my YouTube page.
Here is a much older, Kim Kardashian big curls tutorial. I know I sped through this week’s video, so if I lost you at the curling iron part, this video might clarify things.
Did you subscribe to be notified of future hair tutorials?
Try this big curls hairdo as a prom hairstyle, for a wedding, to school, for work, basically, this hairstyle works for any occasion.